A community performance project in Elephant and Castle for all ages and experience.
Do you live, work or study in Elephant and Castle?
Do you love to dance, move and meet new people?
Do you want to be in a new performance that you’ve helped to create?
LANGUAGE will be the first of four summer projects creating and dancing with our neighbours in Elephant and Castle. This work considers what local dance can be in the ongoing COVID-19 context and is a major feature of new Artistic Directors Annie Pui Ling Lok and Kat Bridge‘s programme.
About the project
We’re inviting those with a strong connection to Elephant and Castle to create a new dance performance with us. It will involve up to 12 sessions in June and July with some incredible artists, ending with a celebratory performance on Saturday 9 July.
The theme is LANGUAGE – exploring different dance styles and languages, moving to express ourselves, the power of communication and the fun and frustration that comes with it.
Who can take part
Participants should have a strong connection to Elephant and Castle: you might live, work, study or have family here.
Experience: No previous experience of dance, movement or performance is needed, but enthusiasm to try is essential!
- Participants under the age of 12 must be with a guardian over the age of 18 who is also participating. This is a project where everyone who attends takes part.
- Participants between 12 and 18 attending alone will need to provide a guardian’s consent ahead of the sessions. Our lead facilitators have been DBS checked.
How to take part
Participation is FREE.
Tell us that you want to take part by:
- Signing up on the form below. Go to the form.
- Giving us a ring on 020 7091 9650
- Dropping by our studios at 85 St. George’s Road, SE1 6ER. Go to our Visit Us page.
About the workshops
Led by skilled dance and theatre artists you will join other participants to think, play and create a new performance together over 10 sessions, a final rehearsal and the show itself.
Sessions will be on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (+ a final rehearsal on Friday 8 July), and you can join one of three groups: A, B or C (morning, afternoon or evening). Attend as many or as few of your group’s sessions as you can but make sure we know that you’re coming!
About the artists
Lead facilitators Annie Pui Ling Lok and Juan Ayala will be joined by guest artists Akeim Toussaint Buck, Carlos Maria Romero aka Atabey Mamasita, Emiko Ishii, Maiya Leeke and Josh Hawkins, working across a range of movement styles including: Vogue-chi, Hip-hop, Caribbean dance, Contemporary dance, Kathak and martial arts.
ACCESS AND AMENITIES at our studios
This is a performance project run by Siobhan Davies Studios, a dance studio less than 5 minutes’ walk from Elephant and Castle station. Go to our Visit Us page to find out how to get here.
Access and Amenities
Siobhan Davies Studios is mostly accessible to wheelchair users, with lifts to all floors. There are two accessible parking spaces available on site which can be booked in advance. Blue Badge parking is also available nearby on West Square and Garden Row (for a full map visit the Southwark Council website). Our main door is not power assisted.
- Changing facilities*
- Communal showers*
- Toilets / wheelchair accessible toilets on the ground floor and first floor
- Kitchen: tea and coffee making, fridge, dishwater and a not fully accessible microwave
* Our changing facilities and showers are not fully accessible. Our closest publicly available and fully accessible changing facility is at The Castle Centre, a leisure centre 0.3 miles away from the studios. You can find full details of their features here.
If you would like to talk about your access requirements in advance of visiting please call us on 0207 091 9650.